“There are no shortcuts—everything is reps, reps, reps.”-Arnold Schwarzenegger
Recently, I had the privilege of interviewing Rachel Cruze for the Learning to Lead podcast (it will be published in January 2015). I asked her what she and the rest of Dave Ramsey’s speaking team does to become world-class communicators.
Her response: “Reps, reps, reps! You have to do it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. For speaking, it’s taking as many speaking opportunities as you can and constantly evaluating and improving your performance.”
This isn’t just true in the area of public speaking. It’s true in every area of life.
- Want to be a world-class writer? Put in the reps (write everyday)
- Want to be in great shape? Put in the reps (workout and eat right every day)
- World-class speaker? Put in the reps! (speak as often as you can)
- World-class salesman? Reps! (make the calls, etc.)
- World-class ______? REPS!
Abraham Lincoln one said, “I will prepare and some day my chance will come.” However, he also said, “When opportunity comes, it’s too late to prepare.”
Putting in the reps day in and day out will prepare you for the opportunity of a lifetime.
Don’t let opportunity pass you by because you didn’t have the daily discipline of putting in the reps.
What areas of life do you need to increase your reps so you can grow to your maximum potential?