This is the first time I am ever publicly declaring my goals. It’s a little scary, but I think it will help me be accountable! If you’re interested in my goal-setting process, I recorded a podcast and provided notes that walk you through my process here. In this post, I just tell you what my goals are. Once I set my goals, I reverse engineer them listing all of the steps necessary to accomplishing them on a separate document. I then transfer those steps to folders in my to-do list app.
One thing I want to make note of is this: I set a lot of goals. However, as a Christian, my life is not my own, it’s God’s. Ultimately, I want to pursue and accomplish what He puts in my heart. That being said, all of my goals are subject to change at anytime if I feel like God is leading me to do something else. I do spend time in prayer praying about what I believe God wants me to do each year. I would encourage you to do the same.
What I know about God is, my goals are tiny compared to the plans and purposes He has for me. I don’t just want to accomplish what I can or want to accomplish. I want to do what He has planned! If you’re looking for a good resource on this subject, I would encourage you to listen to Christine Caine’s Podcast, “Dream Hard. Trust Harder.” which was recorded on October 14th, 2013.
My Top Ten Goals in 2014:
Every week I try to write out my top ten goals to stay focused on what I really want to accomplish. Out of the 10, I choose 1 goal that is my “Push” goal. It’s the one goal that if I accomplish it, it will make accomplishing the other goals a lot easier. That needs to be my main focus. I also write each of the goals as if they have already happened. Here are the top ten as of January 1st, 2014:
- I Wrote and Published an E-Book and a Book (PUSH GOAL) – This will be the year I do this! I am writing a e-book on how to have your best year ever that I will give away for free on my website. I am also writing a book on decisions. I have a lot of it written, I just need to organize and edit it! Stay tuned!
- We bought a House – Last year our main focus was getting out of debt! We did that! Now it’s time to buy our first house! We are so excited!
- I Raised $100k more with my Donors – This is my primary goal at work. I have several other work goals, but if I don’t hit this one, none of the other ones will matter!
- I ran the Pittsburgh Marathon with Laura in under 3:45 – Laura has committed to running her first marathon! I am so excited to train with her! Ultimately, my goal is to finish her first marathon with her. Finishing under 3:45 (which I think is realistic and what we are training for) will just be a bonus!
- I recorded 12 Learning to Lead Personal Podcasts/Interviews – 12 interviews and 12 personal podcasts! The 12 interviews will be easy, I am committing to recording 12 personal podcasts.
- I had 25 Church Speaking Opportunities and 25 Outside of Church speaking Opportunities – This one is ALL God. I have no control over this. God has to open the doors! I’m trusting Him!
- I started a Mastermind Group that meets on a consistent Basis – I want to find a group of 3-5 people who dream big and meet with them on a consistent basis to challenge them and hold them accountable to their dreams and goals. I want them to do the same for me.
- I started Mentoring a Group of Young Leaders – I meet with a lot of young leaders 1 on 1 for coffee, however I think it’d be more beneficial to mentor them in groups.
- I have 6% Body fat and weigh 175 lbs. through December 31st – I am sick of my January 1st “before” pictures always looking the same! I always get into great shape by August and then let myself go October – December for the holidays! Not this year!
- We Made $X, Saved $X, Invested $X, and Gave $X – We have goals of what we would like to make, save, invest, and give.
Overall Goals/Areas of Focus
The rest of this post consists of goals I have set for several different areas of my life.
Growth Goals: This is a list of areas that I want to intentionally grow in this year:
- Continue to refine clean eating – Research
- Shame/Growing-up into adulthood/Codependence
Goals with Laura:
- 4 books on marriage
- Go through a Bible Reading Plan together
- Daily Prayer
- Run a marathon together
- Finish P90X3 together
- 2-3 Retreats like NYC
- Vacation Together
- Buy a House
- Attend a conference together
- Give $X away!
- Pray intentionally 365/365 – Circle things in prayer
- Read a 1-year Bible plan with Laura
- Start serving somewhere – small groups, etc.
- Buy a House!
- Go through Financial Peace University Together
- Save $X for a down payment
- Invest 10% of our income into Retirement
- Get our Emergency Fund up to $X
- Save $X per pay into our Vacation Fund
- Save for a trip to Hawaii or Italy with Laura
- Give away $X
- Find another source of income
Goals at Light of Life:
- Feasibility Study Complete
- Learn Planned Giving/Mail
- Join AFP
- Raise $X with Major Donors
- Start Capital Campaign
- Continue to Get more involved with our programs
- Read 4 fundraising books
- New Blog Design
- Join NSA
- Finish book
- Blog 3-5 times a week
- 12 podcasts – 12 Interviews
- 25 Speaking opportunities in church
- 25 Speaking opportunities outside of church
- Partner with others! Reach out! Attend TEDX, etc. – Add value!
- Free Year-End Review Book
- How to have your best year ever!
- Finish P90X3
- Run the Pittsburgh Marathon under 3:45
- Finish the Tough Mudder
- Get down to 175 lbs and 6% bodyfat and stay there
- Eliminate Breads and sugars from my diet – Dr. Mercola plan
Bucket List Goals:
- Buy a house!
- Vacation with Laura – Napa Valley/Northern California
- Run the New York Marathon?
- Get a Masters Degree
- Travel to one new country with Laura
- Go on a mission trip with Laura
- Go Sky Diving with Laura
- Complete a Triathlon
- Bless 1 couple of friends each month in an intentional way
- Connect with my connections once a month – even just to check-in
It’s shaping up to be an exciting 2014! I want to challenge you go to public with your goals!
What are your top 10 goals in 2014? Comment below!
If this post helped you and you believe it could help others, please recommend it on Facebook, Twitter, Stumble Upon, and the other social media sites listed below. Also, I would love to hear your thoughts on this post. Leave a comment below! Thank you! I would also encourage you to subscribe to this blog via RSS feed or e-mail! You can sign-up for e-mail by typing your e-mail address in the box on the left hand side of this site that says “E-mail updates”.