“Experience is not the best teacher, evaluated experience is.” –John C. Maxwell
I literally cannot believe we are almost half way through 2014! One of my friends has been challenging me to write this blog post in order to update the world on my goal progress so far this year. So here you go! In January, I publicized my goals on my blog. You can read that post here. Today, I will provide an update on all of the goals I set.
Before we go into my goals, I have a few questions about your goals:
- Did you set goals in the beginning of the year?
- Are you tracking your progress?
- Are you making progress?
- Are the goals you set in January still goals now?
- If you did not make the progress you hoped to make, what do you need to change in order to achieve your goals in the second half of 2014?
- When can you take time this month to evaluate your progress?
I would love to hear how you are doing! Leave a comment at the bottom of this post updating me on your progress!
Here is an update on my goals:
- I Wrote and Published an E-Book and a Book (PUSH GOAL) – I have not made much progress on this. To be honest, I just have not prioritized it and put the work in needed.
- We bought a House – This goal has been delayed. It is still a goal, but after meeting with several financial advisors, we determined that the wise thing to do it to wait another year. We have a plan in place to save the money we need to purchase a house. We are aggressive implementing that plan!
- I Raised $100k more with my Donors – This is going well! As of yesterday, I am $120,000 away from my goal with 3 months to go. I am over $130,000 ahead of where I was last year at this time. Work has been great.
- I ran the Pittsburgh Marathon with Laura in under 3:45 – Done! I finished in 3:42 and Laura finished in 3:35.
- I recorded 12 Learning to Lead Personal Podcasts/Interviews – Halfway through the year and I am on track with this goal. You can listen to the podcasts here.
- I had 25 Church Speaking Opportunities and 25 Outside of Church speaking Opportunities – I’ve had 14 speaking opportunities this year. 13 have been church related and 1 has been outside of the church arena. As of now, I have 8 opportunities scheduled over the summer. 7 are church related, 1 is not. If you need a speaker for your event, you can contact my by filling out my speaker request form on this page.
- I started a Mastermind Group that meets on a consistent Basis – This is in the works. I am actually sending e-mails out this week to very specific individuals to start this in July.
- I started Mentoring a Group of Young Leaders – This goal is transforming. Probably the most exciting thing I am working on is a leadership development business. I can’t go into a lot of details in this post, but we have our first event scheduled for July 17th on Mount Washington. If you are interested in joining or helping Laura and I with this effort, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. We have also had the opportunity to help grow and develop the leaders in the youth ministry we serve at in our church. We are so excited about that!
- I have 6% Body fat and weigh 175 lb.. through December 31st – I started 2014 at 194 lb.. I am down to 182 lb. I have not tested my body fat percentage, but it has gone down significantly. Laura and I will be doing the 21-day fix in July, I believe that program will get me to 175 and 6% body fat.
- We Made $X, Saved $X, Invested $X, and Gave $X – We are currently on track with our financial goals.
Overall Goals/Areas of Focus
More updates! 🙂
Growth Goals: This is a list of areas that I want to intentionally grow in this year:
- Continue to refine clean eating – I’m always reading in this area, but I think the 21-day fix meal plan is going to help me learn a lot more.
- Shame/Growing-up into adulthood/Codependence – Working through these things
- Fundraising – I’ve read 2 books and started an intense sales training program
- Speaking/Writing/Business/Platform – I am always learning about this area
- Finances – I’ve met with several financial advisors throughout the year to make sure we’re making wise decisions
- Marriage – We need to do more in intentionally growing in this area
- Management – I’ve been learning a ton in this area. Specifically, personality assessments have been helping me the most. I’ve really been learning the importance of treating everyone differently based on their personal makeup.
- Spiritual – Church, spiritual growth books, and podcasts have been consistent.
Goals with Laura:
- 4 books on marriage – We have not done this.
- Go through a Bible Reading Plan together – We’re on track for this
- Daily Prayer – We haven’t been as consistent with this as we were in Q1… need to get back on track.
- Run a marathon together – Done
- Finish P90X3 together – Done
- 2-3 Retreats like NYC – 1 down, we would like to plan one for the fall
- Vacation Together – Planned for August
- Buy a House – Delayed until next year
- Attend a conference together – Done
- Give $X away! – On track
- Pray intentionally 365 – Circle things in prayer – My prayer life is better than it’s ever been, but it’s still not where I would like it to be.
- Read a 1-year Bible plan with Laura – on track.
- Start serving somewhere – Started serving in our youth ministry at our church
- Buy a House! – Delayed
- Go through Financial Peace University Together – Have not done
- Save $X for a down payment – On track
- Invest 10% of our income into Retirement – Not quite at 10% yet. House and emergency funds are a higher priority right now.
- Get our Emergency Fund up to $X – On track
- Save $X per pay into our Vacation Fund – On track
- Save for a trip to Hawaii or Italy with Laura – Not sure where we will go in 2015, but we are saving.
- Give away $X – On track
- Find another source of income – God’s starting to open doors in this area
Goals at Light of Life:
- Feasibility Study Complete – Literally just finished yesterday.
- Learn Planned Giving/Mail – Have not done a ton in this area.
- Join AFP – Have not.
- Raise $X with Major Donors – On track.
- Start Capital Campaign – Waiting for next steps from our board
- Continue to Get more involved with our programs – Joined a small group and led chapel once a month. I am no longer able to make the small group time due to another engagement I have, so I need to find another way.
- Read 4 fundraising books – I’ve read 2.
- New Blog Design – Done in January
- Join NSA – No, but I am going to my first Toastmasters meeting on Saturday
- Finish book – No
- Blog 3-5 times a week – I have been consistent with 3 blog posts a week.
- 12 podcasts – 12 Interviews – On track
- 25 Speaking opportunities in church – On track
- 25 Speaking opportunities outside of church – Not on track
- Partner with others! Reach out! Attend TEDX, etc. – Add value! – I did attend TEDx, I have not started any partnerships, I hope that they will be developed through the meetings we’re starting to ave in July.
- Free Year-End Review Book – I have a lot of this written. Just need to do something with it to get it published!
- Finish P90X3 – Done
- Run the Pittsburgh Marathon under 3:45 – Done
- Finish the Tough Mudder – Scheduled for August
- Get down to 175 lbs and 6% bodyfat and stay there – Halfway there!
- Eliminate Breads and sugars from my diet – Dr. Mercola plan – Have not done yet
Bucket List Goals:
- Buy a house!
- Vacation with Laura – Napa Valley/Northern California
- Run the New York Marathon? – No longer a goal
- Get a Masters Degree – Not going to happen this year
- Travel to one new country with Laura – Not going to happen this year
- Go on a mission trip with Laura – Not going to happen this year
- Go Sky Diving with Laura – This could happen on vacation this year!
- Complete a Triathlon – Probably not going to happen this year
- Bless 1 couple of friends each month in an intentional way – yes
- Connect with my connections once a month – I have not done a great job at this. I need to be more intentional!
It’s been a great first half of 2014. I am looking forward to continuing to work on my goals in the second half!
If this post helped you and you believe it could help others, please recommend it on Facebook, Twitter, Stumble Upon, and the other social media sites listed below. Also, I would love to hear your thoughts on this post. Leave a comment below! Thank you! I would also encourage you to subscribe to this blog via RSS feed or e-mail! You can sign-up for e-mail by typing your e-mail address in the box on the left hand side of this site that says “E-mail updates”.