“The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” -John Bingham
Do you ever wonder how people who achieve great things actually do them? Think about it, everyone has goals and dreams of who they would like to become or what they would like to accomplish, but not everyone achieves what they set out to achieve. So, what separates the achievers from the dreamers? I have found that achievers dream, decide their going to do something, and take the first step. Dreamers just…dream.
Most people never become who they’d like to become or do what they would like to do because they do not decide to and even if they do, they do not know how to start.
Dreams are great but the question becomes, “How do I achieve this?”
- How do I become successful?
- How do I become financially independent?
- How do I get into the best shape of my life?
- How I grow to my maximum potential?
- How can I run a marathon?
- How can I raise a great family?
- How do I ____(fill in your goal)?
First, you have to decide. Decide you’re going to be successful. Decide you’re going to be financially independent, decide you’re going to have a great relationship, decide you’re going to change your life, your health, your family, your career, and your relationships.
Second, you have to start. You start by taking one step:
- Having a great relationship with God starts with going to church.
- Getting in the best shape of your life starts with taking a walk around the neighborhood and reading an article on better eating habits.
- Doing well financially starts with educating yourself on personal finance. Reading a book or meeting with a financial planner.
- Running a marathon starts with running .25 of a mile
If you do not know what a simple first step is, ask someone who has accomplished what you would like to accomplish. There are hundreds and thousands of people who have done what you would like to do. They would love to help you.
Once you decide to change and take one step, you will begin to make progress. You won’t reach your goals overnight, but each day you take a step, you get one step closer. Your steps start to compound. Eventually, progress comes quickly. Before you know it, you’re accomplishing things you never thought you would.
Once you become a person who decides to change their life and takes the steps necessary to get there, you will never turn back.You’ll become a person who acts on their dreams. As a result, you’ll become a person whose dreams come true. Why? Because you decided to start.
- What goals and dreams do you have that you just need to decide you’re going to go after them?
- What are the first steps you need to get started?
Write down the steps and then act. Start. Now.
If this post helped you and you believe it could help others, please recommend it on Facebook, Twitter, Stumble Upon, and the other social media sites listed below. Also, I would love to hear your thoughts on this post. Leave a comment below! Thank you!
I would also encourage you to subscribe to this blog via RSS feed or e-mail! You can sign-up for e-mail by typing your e-mail address in the box on the left hand side of this site that says “E-mail updates”.