I’ll show you what it’s like when someone comes to me, listens to my teaching and then follows it. It is like a person building their foundation on solid rock, when the floodwaters rise and break against that house, it stands firm because it has a strong foundation.
Over the past few weeks I’ve just felt like I was going through the motions spiritually. I have ten thousand things going on in my life and God became a checklist rather than someone in whom I have an intimate relationship with. I lost my intimacy with God and I literally don’t know if there is anything that feels worse than that. I felt like my foundation in Him was weakening.
Saturday night during worship we were singing the song “Only You” by David Crowder and the it talks about giving all of your dreams and desires over to God. Then the chorus repeats over and over that “It’s just You and ME” and for the first time in a long time I felt like I was alone with God. I didn’t have anyone around me, any of the thousand things I needed to do this week going through my mind, or anything like that. Just simply me….and God.
It was a wonderful time to reflect on my life and God corrected me on a lot of things in my life. It was hard….but I’m so thankful He cares about me enough to correct me. He corrects us because He loves us and wants what is best for us. I know that if I’ll build the foundation of my life on Him and His word that I’ll be able to withstand any storm that comes my way (and they do come!) So on Saturday night I purposed in my heart a few things:
- I will never let myself get so busy and involved in so many things that I don’t take time where it’s “Just me and God”
- I will refuse to make decisions in my life unless I am 100% certain that God has told me to (if I don’t have a peace… I stand… if it’s hard… I continue to stand because GOD IS FAITHFUL)
- I will never settle for less than God’s best for any reason…
- I will get 1 or 2 people in my life to meet with weekly to cry to, laugh to, celebrate with, etc. to let them know what is REALLY going on in my life
- That Jesus Christ is the anchor and foundation of my life and I will not be shaken by any storm that comes my way because of that.
- God is Faithful, He’s been Faithful in my life time and time again. He has never failed me, disappointed me, or let me down. I need to keep myself in continual remembrance of how good He is and remember all of the unbelievable things He has done in my life.
I literally wonder how people who don’t know God wake up every morning and live. I cannot imagine my life without God. I can’t imagine Him not being my foundation and the central focus of my life. I can’t imagine facing any situation and not having Him to lead me, guide me, and protect me.
If a storm of life came out of nowhere in your life (and Jesus promised us they will)… would the foundation you’ve built in your life be able to withstand it? Would you be able to, regardless of circumstances, to give everything to God and let the peace that surpasses understanding fill your heart because you know God is your anchor and He loves and cares about you more than you will ever be able to comprehend (Romans 8:38,39)?