This was one of the most important books I have read in a long time. When I heard about it being a book on overcoming offense, I thought, “I don’t need that, I don’t have much offense in my heart.” Wrong! I had tons of offense built up in my heart, that I had not dealt with.
This book really help set me free. I am so glad John Bevere wrote it! This should be required reading for everyone. We all deal with offense. Whether it is the offense of a friend, a family member, a co-worker, or another leader.
My Big Takeaway: “Absolutely no man, woman, child, or devil can ever get you out of the will of God! No one but God holds your destiny.”
If you never read this book, get a hold of that quote! When I realized that nothing can get me out of the will of God except my own bitterness, unforgivness, and offense, I became free of all the offense that I had built up in my heart.
Whether you feel like you need to deal with this subject or not, I encourage you to read the book. I think you may come away surprised. I promise you that God will do a work in your life through this book. Get it!
Buy it here:
- The most effective way for the enemy to blind us is to cause us to focus on ourselves.
- OUR RESPONSE TO AN OFFENSE DETERMINES OUR FUTURE.
- It is impossible that no offenses should come. —LUKE 17:1
- This truth remains: Only those you care about can hurt you. You expect more from them—after all, you’ve given more of yourself to them. The higher the expectations, the greater the fall.
- Just because you were mistreated, you do not have permission to hold on to an offense.
- God refines with afflictions, trials, and tribulations, the heat of which separates impurities such as unforgiveness, strife, bitterness, anger, envy, and so forth from the character of God in our lives.
- You will only repent when you stop blaming other people.
- When we filter everything through past hurts, rejections, and experiences, we find it impossible to believe God.
- When betrayal occurs, the relationship cannot be restored unless genuine repentance follows.
- Absolutely no man, woman, child, or devil can ever get you out of the will of God! No one but God holds your destiny.
- When you’re out of the will of God, you will not be a blessing or help to any church.
- Offended people believe everyone is out to get them. With this attitude it is difficult for them to see areas in their own lives that need change. They isolate themselves and conduct themselves in such a manner that invites abuse.
- “Many times God will allow people to run from situations He desires them to face if they are set on running from them in their hearts.”
- It is impossible to establish a healthy relationship with a person who has left another relationship bitter and offended. Healing must take place.
- WHAT WE LEARN IN THE PRESENCE OF GOD CANNOT BE LEARNED IN THE PRESENCE OF MEN.
- trials and tests locate a person. In other words, they determine where you are spiritually. They reveal the true condition of your heart. How you react under pressure is how the real you reacts
- A PERSON WHO CANNOT FORGIVE HAS FORGOTTEN HOW GREAT A DEBT GOD HAS FORGIVEN THEM.
- YOU GROW MORE FROM THE MOST CHALLENGING OFFENSES—THE ONES FOR WHICH YOU HAVE NOT BEEN TRAINED.