15He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. 16Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.
Mark 16:15, 16
Are We Reaching the World?
Notice the question wasn’t – are we reaching more Christians? I’m not even talking about the church at this point – that’s a whole other story. I’m talking about you and me…are we reaching people for God? I got challenged like crazy at Catalyst in this area. Questions like this were asked of me:
- When people have a need, do they think of you as a means to helping them?
- Are you allowing people to belong (be a friend) before they have to believe?
- Do you like people who are only like you?
- Does everybody feel welcome around you?
After interning, serving, and working for a church for 6+ years, it is easy to get detached from the world. Since getting a job outside the church recently, I’ve realized there are a ton of people who don’t know God and are searching desperately for Him, and I’ve done a pretty good job at reaching Christians, but a pretty bad job at reaching the world.This has to change…
Here are some thoughts from Catalyst to make you think more about this subject…
- The church doesn’t exist for us, the church (we) exist for the world. -Erwin McManus
- Are we befriending people that are different than us? When is the last time you had a non-christian over your house for dinner? Hung out with them outside of church?
- You’ll never reach people until you draw people to you and earn the right to show them God in their life.
- Jesus first words: Come Follow me – Jesus Last Words: Go Make Disciples – we need to stop being so focused on ourselves and our spiritual growth and more focused on making disciples.
- We’re called to be traffic directors in Hell!- pointing everyone to Heaven
- You’re a miracle to somebody when you give them Jesus – Do you remember who led you to God?
- Small acts may not change the world, but they can tilt it to go in the right direction – There are millions of people everywhere that need encouraged, need to hear I see you, I believe in you, you matter!
How have you been doing with what Jesus told us to do? Going into the world (not the church) and making disciples…