A few years ago, I started learning about a vision for our city. The vision is that one day, Pittsburgh will be more famous for God than anything else. Every time I would hear that vision, my heart would be filled with passion and a fire to do something to help that vision happen.
Since then, I’ve been asking God to show me what a city famous for God looks like and how Laura and I can be a small part in making that happen. Here are a few things I’ve learned so far:
What a city famous for God looks like:
Saleem Ghubril, Executive Director of the Pittsburgh Promise recently shared this scripture with us, which is how he defines a city famous for God:
Zechariah 8:4-5 says, “This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies says: Once again old men and women will walk Jerusalem’s streets with their canes and will sit together in the city squares. 5 And the streets of the city will be filled with boys and girls at play.
A city for God is a place that is safe for everyone, both young and old. It’s a city that’s flourishing. I’d imagine that:
- A city famous for God doesn’t have anyone that doesn’t know Him in it
- A city famous for God doesn’t homeless men, women, and children in it
- A city famous for God doesn’t have crime
- A city famous for God doesn’t have human trafficking
- A city famous for God doesn’t have people who are at a disadvantage in it
- A city famous for God doesn’t have any sick people in it
- A city famous for God doesn’t have any corruption in it
- A city famous for God ________________ (fill in the blank)
We all have a part in making our cities famous for God
If that is what a city famous for God looks like, then we all play a part in helping make that happen. So what is your part in making your city famous for God?
Jeremiah 29:5-7 says, “Build homes, and plan to stay. Plant gardens, and eat the food they produce. Marry and have children. Then find spouses for them so that you may have many grandchildren. Multiply! Do not dwindle away! And work for the peace and prosperity of the city where I sent you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, for its welfare will determine your welfare.”
Your part in making your city famous for God is simply doing what God tells you to do every day. Yesterday, I blogged about how everything God asks you to do is a big deal. Here are a few examples of how you can play your part:
- When you live for God, you’re helping make your city famous for God
- When you raise Godly children and grandchildren, you’re helping make your city famous for God
- When you pray and work for the prosperity of your city, you’re making it famous for God
- When you live a life of integrity, you’re helping make your city famous for God
- When you serve those in need, you’re helping make your city famous for God
- When you share the Gospel with those who haven’t heard it, you’re helping making your city famous for God
- When you plant a church, start a business or a non-profit that God puts on your heart, you’re making your city famous for God.
- When you do anything that God leads you do to, you’re helping make your city famous for Him.
Tony Evans often says, “If you want a better world, composed of better nations, inhabited by better states, filled with better counties, made up of better cities, compromised of better neighborhoods, illuminated by better churches, populated by better families, then you’ll have to start by becoming a better person.”
Making your city famous for God starts with you pursuing God and becoming the men and women He created you to be. Then it’s simply doing what He tells you to do!
I’m committed to helping my city become famous for God, are you? Let’s all do our best everyday to make this happen!
What can you do today to help your city take one step closer to being famous for God?
If this post helped you and you believe it could help others, please “like” and share it on Facebook, Twitter, Stumble Upon, and the other social media sites listed below. Also, I would love to hear your thoughts on this post. Leave a comment below! Thank you!
I would also encourage you to subscribe to this blog via RSS feed or e-mail! You can sign-up for e-mail by typing your e-mail address in the box on the left hand side of this site that says “E-mail updates”.