“Instead of wondering when your next vacation is, maybe you should set up a life you don’t need to escape from.” -Seth Godin
Too many people are living lives they want to escape from. Whether it’s a week’s vacation to escape from reality or going to the bar every night after work to drink the day away, most people want to escape their current reality.
Then there are other people who absolutely love their lives. They love what they do, they seem to enjoy every moment of their lives. These are the people that most people envy and despise because they just don’t understand how they do it.
I have found that there are major differences between the person that wants to escape their current reality and the person who never needs to escape reality.
The bottom line is: People that love their lives make decisions that people who want to escape don’t make.
I have found that people who don’t want to escape from their lives:
- Do work that they love and are passionate about
- Make personal growth a priority in their life
- Spend time with people who add to their lives and not subtract, multiply, not divide!
- Are people of faith
- Are always looking at life as an adventure
- Plan their lives
- Make great decisions
- Have integrity
- Have boundaries
- Have people in their life to hold them accountable
- Make family a priority
- Are a part of something bigger than themselves (serving at a church, non-profit, etc.)
- Handle their money wisely
- Make memories often
- Are optimistic
- Always see the best in people and in circumstances
- Have found a purpose for their life
What are some choices you have made to create a life you don’t need to escape from?
I have found that people who want to escape from their lives:
- Are content pursue a job for money instead of for a purpose
- Are content doing things they are not passionate about
- Aren’t willing to try something new
- Are pessimistic
- See the worst in people and in circumstances
- Don’t make the decision to grow personally
- Don’t have people in their lives to tell them no
- They are not teachable
- Don’t have boundaries
- Are not people of faith
- Are not confident in who they are
- Do not plan their lives
- Hang around people who subtract and divide in their life, not add or multiply
- Make decisions bases on pleasure and not integrity
What are choices you have seen others make that have created a life they want to escape from?
What are some decisions you can start making today to create a life you don’t want to escape from?