Making the Most of Mentors
Mentors help you go further, faster!
Where to Find Mentors:
Getting Mentored by the Masters
Referrals – Once you meet with someone, you should always ask if they know anyone else they should meet.
Before You Meet with Potential Mentors:
- Make sure you are on a personal growth plan
How to get an appointment with potential Mentors:
- Don’t Be Afraid to Ask.
- Come up with a plan to ask them!
- Figure out a way to add value to them
- Show them you will be prepared
Preparing for Your Meeting:
- Study the potential mentor you will be meeting with
- Have a basic list of questions you’d like to ask every mentor
- Adapt the questions to specifically address things you want to ask this person based on their experience
- Figure out what they love and get it for them
- E-mail/Call them the week of your meeting to confirm and make sure they have your cell phone number in case anything changes
During Your Meeting:
- Be early!
- Shake their hand, keep eye contact
- Ask about their personal life
- Bring a notebook and take notes!
What Mentors Expect Out of You:
Two questions mentors will always ask about meeting with you:
- Do you value it?
- Will you do something with it?
After Your Meeting
Evaluate Your Meeting:
- Was it as good as you thought it’d be? Worse? Better?
- Decide if you’d like to meet with them again.
Follow-up with Your Mentors:
- Write a Thank You card
- Thank them for their time
- Write down what your key takeaways were
- Give them a gift if you haven’t already
Create an Action Plan:
- Make a to-do list of everything they told you to do
- DO IT
Ask for Another Meeting
Final Thoughts on Mentors:
- Mentors will always take your further faster
- Some mentors will be in your life for long periods of your life, others for short periods. Be ok with that.
- Always be grateful if someone is willing to meet with you. Not everyone gets opportunities like that.
- Honor Your Mentors
How You Can Help this Podcast:
- To listen to past interviews, go to my podcast page.
- Subscribe to this podcast
- Rate and leave a review of the podcast
- Share the content on Social Media
- Sign-up for my Learning to Lead Newsletter
- If you have an idea for a future podcast you would like to hear or a leader you would like me to interview, e-mail me.
- If you enjoyed the podcast, please rate it on iTunes and write a review.
If this post helped you and you believe it could help others, please recommend it on Facebook, Twitter, Stumble Upon, and the other social media sites listed below. Also, I would love to hear your thoughts on this post. Leave a comment below! Thank you!
I would also encourage you to subscribe to this blog via RSS feed or e-mail! You can sign-up for e-mail by typing your e-mail address in the box on the left hand side of this site that says “E-mail updates”.