“Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.” -Acts 3:6
This Christmas as I handed out Christmas cards, I’d often say, “Silver and gold, I have none, but what I do have is a Christmas card!” At this point in my life, I don’t have all the money I’d like to just go out and bless everyone that has been a blessing to me.
At first I felt guilty and then I got down on myself. Then I thought…I don’t need to be able to give a gift or a gift card to bless someone, I’ll just give what I do have to give: Encouragement, time, my service, a meaningful card, etc.
You might not be able to buy everyone you know gifts this Christmas, but you do have something that you can give. The question you should ask yourself is:
What can I offer people that would be better than just getting them a gift?
Maybe you could:
- Take someone out to coffee and encourage them
- Write letters to the people that have impacted you the most
- Volunteer to help them with a project they need to get done at home
- Offer your expertise to someone who could use it
- Call someone and let them know they’ve made a difference in your life
- Send out text messages thanking people for the impact they’ve had
- Introduce people to people that can help them!
- Give someone an opportunity they don’t deserve!
- Give up your morning, afternoon, or evening just to spend time with someone.
Don’t think that the only way to bless someone this Christmas is through money and gifts. You have more to offer than you realize.
What do you have to give this Christmas?