Last week I had the privilege of attending the Willow Creek Association Global Leadership Summit Simulcast at Orchard Hill Church in Pittsburgh. I always like to share my key takeaways from conferences within 24 hours of learning them so that I can have a higher chance of retaining them and hopefully they can help someone. Here are my takeaways from Day 2:
Session 1: Horst Schulze
- Go to work to be excellent
- Being excellent is caring
- Great Businesses:
- Keep the customer
- Get new customers
- Get as much money as you can from them without losing them
- Work on efficiencies
- Customers want 3 things:
- The product to be defect free
- Timeliness – be on time
- People that give you the product to be nice to them
- Service starts the moment you make contact
- Service is your product
- Do you have a bad workforce? You’re the dummy who hired them!
- We don’t hire, we select
- No one can claim superiority over another human being
- Leaders forfeit the right to make an excuse
- Is the destination beneficial for all concerned? Measure: Would God approve? If not, don’t do it!
- Set expectations and do not waver for them
- If you get to complain, you own it
Session 2: Sheila Heen
- Feedback is all the information available about you
- Feedback enablers leaders to get the best out of their people and their people to get the best out of their leaders
- The receiver is in charge of feedback conversations
- Why do we reject feedback?
- It was wrong
- I didn’t respect them
- I was too stubborn
- You’ll always be able to find something wrong with feedback, but their may be 10% in it that you need to hear!
- Before you do anything, figure out what the person giving feedback means and then figure out what you should do with it
- Other people have information about you that is invisible to you
- The fastest way to change the feedback culture is for the leaders to take great feedback
- If you won’t know what to work on as a leader, guess who does? Your team! They have a secret list of things that drive them nuts about you!
- The better you receive feedback, the better you give it!
- Best way to get feedback is to ask, “What’s one thing that you appreciate about me? What’s one thing that frustrates you? How do you suggest that I change?
- People won’t give you feedback until they think you want to know!
Session #4: Brian Houston – Unfortunately, I had to miss this session.
Session #3: Sam Adeyemi
- The object of leadership for many leaders is their own success, the object of Christ’s leadership was the success of His followers
- Following you should hold the promise of change for those who follow you
- People will follow you when they perceive their lives will be better used than what they’re currently doing
- Don’t pray for your needs, pray for cities, nations, and the world!
Session #4: Liz Wiseman – Unfortunately, I was unable to attend Liz’s session.
Session #5: Craig Groeschel
- There is more in you than you think there is
- Capacity is what you can handle and produce
- If you don’t grow, you will be the lid on your organization
- When your organization starts to struggle, assume that you’re the lid that needs to grow
- 5 C’s of Expanding Your Capacity
- 1.) Build Your Confidence
- Change your self-talk
- The path way to your greatest potential is to take steps right through your greatest fears
- You are not who others say you are, you are who God says you are
- 2.) Expand your Connections
- Show me who you’re listening to and I’ll show you your future
- You may be 1 relationship away from changing the course of your destiny
- The problem with young guys is that they think too small
- 3.) Improve Your Competence
- Ask the people around you how you need to grow
- 4.) Strengthen Your Character
- Talent can get you to the top, but only character can keep you there
- Is there something in your private life that could affect your public life?
- Why would you want to resist something in the future when you could eliminate it today?
- You are only as strong as your are honest.
- 5.) Increase Your Commitment
- There is a huge difference between I kind of want this vs. nothing will stop me from getting this
- Commitment – We will not stop until we accomplish that
- Your brain can’t comprehend what God is capable of doing in and through you.
- How bad you want something determines what you’ll do to get it!
- 1.) Build Your Confidence
I will be blogging some of my key lessons from the Summit over the next few weeks. It was another fantastic conference! The Summit recently produced an app with a ton of great content from past Summit’s. I would highly encourage you to download it. Check it out here.
Did you attend the Summit? If so, what were some of your key takeaways? Comment below!
If this post helped you and you believe it could help others, please recommend it on Facebook, Twitter, Stumble Upon, and the other social media sites listed below. Also, I would love to hear your thoughts on this post. Leave a comment below! Thank you! I would also encourage you to subscribe to this blog via RSS feed or e-mail! You can sign-up for e-mail by typing your e-mail address in the box on the left hand side of this site that says “E-mail updates”.