Last week, Laura and I shared a vision for what God has put in our hearts for developing leaders in our city. Then we prayed as a group over the city of Pittsburgh. For those of you who were not able to make the meeting and are interested in what we are doing, you can read what we shared below. If you are interested in being a part of what we’re doing, sign-up for our e-mail list and fill out this survey.
But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare.” Jeremiah 29:7
To grow and develop world changing leaders in Pittsburgh that will infiltrate all sectors of society for Christ.
What will we do?
We will Grow together – Our goal is to help every leader grow to their maximum potential.
We will Serve our community – We will partner with local churches and non-profits who are making a significant difference in our city and find ways to serve them.
We will Unite the Body of Christ in Pittsburgh to transform the city – We will have leaders from every denomination and background coming together to grow and develop together and to make a difference for Christ.
We will Develop lifelong friendships – It’s all about relationships and going through life together! Reid Carpenter once said, “Magnificent friends, serving a magnificent vision from a magnificent God… there is no better juice in life than that!”
Why are we doing it?
Because it’s in our Hearts – We were raised to believe we are world changers and right now, this is what God has put in our hearts to do to change the world. We believe that if we will invest in leaders, there is no telling what God will do in and through the people that are impacted through this.
Because it’s needed – Everywhere we go we see the need for leadership development. We see a younger generation hungry to grow and develop. We see an older generation hungry to invest in the next generation. We want to bridge that gap. We want to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to grow and develop their potential.
Because everyone wins when a leader gets better! – Tony Evans may have said it best, “If you want a better world, composed of better nations, inhabited by better states, filled with better counties, made up of better cities, compromised of better neighborhoods, illuminated by better churches, populated by better families, then you’ll have to start by becoming a better person.”
If we’ll develop better leaders, we will live in a better city, a better state, a better nation, and ultimately, a better world!
Who is it for?
- Anyone looking to develop their potential
- Seasoned leaders who want to make an investment in potential leaders
How we are going to do it:
We will expose people to the following:
- Great Events – We will create and go to great leadership events,. Conferences, breakfasts, retreats, networking events, etc.
- Great People – We will provide opportunities for younger leaders to get exposed to seasoned leaders who are willing to invest in them.
- Great Lessons and Resources– We will provide great resources to help leaders grow and develop.
- Great Places – We will go to great places around the city and around the country to expose young leaders to what God is doing.
- Great Community – Ultimately, this is going to be about a community of leaders coming together to grow together, challenge each other, and to go through life together.
Our Next Steps:
- Leadership Small Group starting in the fall
- Learning to Lead Calendar/Events – We will let you know about upcoming events that you can attend to help you grow and develop.
- Inner Circle – We will develop a group of leaders who are interested in helping us pull this off!
- Monthly Leadership Breakfasts – We will have seasoned leaders teach us leadership and have the opportunity to network, etc.
- The Learning to Lead Podcast – Interviews, Lessons from me, and lessons from leaders.
- Sign-up for E-mail Newsletter
How you can join to what we’re doing:
- Take our L2L Survey – If you have not filled out this survey yet, please do so. It will help us direct you.
- Learning to Lead Small Groups – We will be starting a leadership small group in the fall. If you would like to join, please fill out the survey above and let us know through that.
- Learning to Lead Breakfasts – Our first breakfast will be Saturday, September 20th in the morning. Please save this date on your calendar. We will be sending details soon.
- Join the Inner Circle – If you’re interested in helping us pull this off, let us know in the survey!
Vision for the Future:
- Develop a network of mentors for young leaders
- Learning to Lead Seminars – Personal Growth, Goal setting workshops, etc.
- Learning to Lead Conferences – In the city
- Learning to Lead Small Groups – Led by you – Developing young leaders
- Come and See Events – Visit and serve local non-profits – meet their needs
- Learning to Lead Experiences – Going to places outside of our city to learn about leadership.
- Learning to Lead Events – Fun, Pirates Games, etc.
- Learning to Lead Blog – You writing posts
- Learning to Lead Speakers Bureau
Let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
We are excited to take this journey together!
Doug and Laura Smith