I recently had the opportunity to speak at my home Church, Victory Family Church. My message was on how to overcome lids (limitations) in your life through spiritual growth. My prayer is that this message encourages you and challenges you. You will find my notes for the message below. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to serve you. If the message blesses you and you feel like it would encourage others, please share it. I’d also love to hear what you got out of the message. Feel free to leave a comment at the bottom of this post! Enjoy!
Watch the Message:
Listen to the Message:
Growth = Happiness!
- Spend time with God – Set your appointment
- Day to Day intensity, Week to week consistency, builds champions!” -Jim Rankin
- Getting into the Word!
- Take Notes!
- Romans 10:17 – So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Pastor John: It’s the Word of God that gives you the capacity for Spiritual growth! Most of your issues have to be grown out of. You can grow spiritually through the bulk of your problems!
The Law of the Lid
- Mark 4
12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. 2 We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith.[a] Because of the joy[b]awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. -Hebrews 12: 1-2
1.) The Lid of Greed
Conditions: You elevate money or anything else above God! You
“Jesus warns people far more often about greed than about sex, yet almost no one thinks they are guilty of it.“ -Tim Keller
15 Then he said, “Beware! Guard against every kind of greed. Life is not measured by how much you own.” -Luke 12:15
The dictionary defines greed as an intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth, power, or food.
Greed never delivers on its promises!
- Mark 10 – The Young Rich Ruler
“No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money. -Matthew 6:24
- Guard yourself
- Trust God to Meet Your Needs – Matthew 6:33 – Seek First the King, and ALL These things will be added to you!
- Romans 8:32!
2.) The Fear, Anxiety, and Depression Lid
- You are constantly fearful and anxious – worrying about everything
- You are depressed all the time
- You’re afraid to pursue the dreams that God put in your heart
Solution: God will free you from all your fears, anxieties, and depression!
Psalm 34:3 – I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears.
I Peter 5:7 – 7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. -Phil.4:6
3.) The Lid of Hidden Sin
- You have sin in your life that you haven’t been strong enough to defeat
- Recognize that you aren’t the only one struggling with this!
- Admit it, Quit it, Forget it!
He who conceals his transgressions will not prosper, But he who confesses and forsakes them will find compassion. -Proverbs 28:13
You’re only as strong as you are honest! -Craig Groeschel
4.) The Identity Lid
Conditions of an Identity Crises:
- Your identity is too wrapped up in something you could lose
24 “Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. 25 Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock. 26 But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand. 27 When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash.” -Matthew 7:24-27
Solution: Don’t Put Your Identity in Anything You Can Lose
8 For you know that you were not redeemed from your useless way of life inherited from your forefathers with perishable things like silver and gold, 19 but you were actually purchased with precious blood, like that of a [sacrificial] lamb unblemished and spotless, the priceless blood of Christ. I Peter 1:18
Build your identity on the only thing you can never lose, God!
5.) The Family Lid
Conditions Holding You Back:
- You have bad parents
- Your Parents Disappointed You
- You take how good your parents are for granted
- You don’t honor your parents
- You’ve been a bad parent
- You Think you’re a bad parent
- Seek God: God is Your Father and He never leaves you nor forsakes you!
- Psalm 27:10 says, “Even if my father and mother abandon me, the LORD will hold me close.”
- Recognize that Your Parents or You as Parents did the best they knew How
- Hebrews 12:10 – For our earthly fathers disciplined us for a few years, doing the best they knew how.
- Honor Your parents:
- Ephesians 6:2 says, “2 “Honor your father and mother.” This is the first commandment with a promise: 3 If you honor your father and mother, “things will go well for you, and you will have a long life on the earth.”
First Look – Last Look
In Christ, THERE IS NO LAST LOOK!
6.) The Lid of Disappointment
- Something happened to you in your life that caused you to be disappointed in God and to stop trusting Him
- The question isn’t why? The question is, what do you do when you don’t know why?
- Decide that No matter what – We serve God!
- Trust God when you don’t know why!
- Believe Him that He can turn it into something great!
28 And we know that God causes everything to work together[m] for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. -Romans 8:28
Thoughts? Comment below!
If this post helped you and you believe it could help others, please recommend it on Facebook, Twitter, Stumble Upon, and the other social media sites listed below. Also, I would love to hear your thoughts on this post. Leave a comment below! Thank you!