For the first time in my life, I’ve gone public with my goals! It was a hard thing for me to do. It scared me. Why? Because it brought up questions like:
- What if I don’t accomplish everything I set out to do?
- What if everything thinks my goals are shallow and selfish?
- What if I look stupid?
- What if other people don’t think I’m capable or ready to accomplish my goals?
These were all valid thoughts that crossed my mind. However, I am sick of letting fear hold me back. Worst case scenario: I don’t accomplish any of my goals and feel humiliated. Even if that happens, it’s not the end of the world.
Instead of looking through the lens of fear, what if I looked through another lens. What if . . .
- I accomplish all of my goals?
- What if by going public, I inspire others to set and achieve their own goals?
- What if it helps me be accountable to what I want to do?
- What if it opens up doors for relationships with other who want to accomplish similar things and we form a mastermind group and achieve our goals together?
Seth Godin wrote a few blog posts last year that had a significant impact on my thinking in this area, I encourage you to read them:
- Be willing to have your worst one ever.
- But What if I fail?
- Reject the tyranny of being picked: pick yourself
As I wrote before, most people will cheer you on as you pursue your goals, so why not share them? What’s the worst that can happen? Go public! It may just be the kick in the pants you need to go to the next level!
Consider going public with your goals this year! I’d love to hear them! Feel free to share your goals with me by commenting below!
If you would be interested in joining a Mastermind group with me where we share our goals with each other and keep each other accountable, click the contact me tab on this site and let me know!
If this post helped you and you believe it could help others, please recommend it on Facebook, Twitter, Stumble Upon, and the other social media sites listed below. Also, I would love to hear your thoughts on this post. Leave a comment below! Thank you! I would also encourage you to subscribe to this blog via RSS feed or e-mail! You can sign-up for e-mail by typing your e-mail address in the box on the left hand side of this site that says “E-mail updates”.