Yesterday and today I have the privilege of attending the Willow Creek Association Global Leadership Summit Simulcast at Orchard Hill Church in Pittsburgh. I always like to share my key takeaways from conferences within 24 hours of learning them so that I can have a higher chance of retaining them and hopefully they can help someone. Here are my takeaways from Day 1:
Session 1: Bill Hybels
- Book to Read: Leadership Intangibles
- 5 Leadership Intangibles:
- Self-Sacrificing Love
- A White Hot Why
- Grit Assessment
- Give yourself difficult tasks
- When your supervisor gives you an assignment, over-deliver every time
- Organizations are desperate for resourceful leaders
- Senior leaders: The quality of your loving sets the tone for the organization
- We all need to be Chief Meaningful Officers – Let people know WHY they do what they do
- Life is too short to not live with a white hot why
Session 2: Jim Collins
- What cause do you serve with level 5 ambition?
- If you have a charismatic cause, you don’t need to be a charismatic leader.
- Commitment to service is a life choice, not a sector choice
- Will you settle for being a good leader or grow to be a great leader?
- True leadership is when people follow you when they would have a choice not to
- Leadership is about getting people to want to do what must be done
- Learn from people, but do not copy them
- Leaders do not start as great leaders, they grow into them
- Will you do whatever it takes to grow as your enterprise grows and scales?
- How can you reframe failure as growth in pursuit of BHAGS?
- If you know you can achieve it, it’s not a BHAG!
- The opposite of success is not failure, it’s growth!
- How can you succeed by helping others succeed?
- We succeed at our very best only when we help others succeed.
- Have you found you personal hedgehog? – Where passion, gifting and economic engine meet?
- What if Steve jobs quit in 1985 when he was fired from Apple?
- Life is a series of hands, not a single hand, and we must play every hand to the best of our ability.
- Focus on your unit, not your career!
- Life is people
- Change your focus from taking care of your career, to taking care of your people.
- The best leaders make an impact on people
Session 3: Ed Catmull
- Great animation not connected to a great story is worthless
- Everything great starts as an ugly baby
- Measure of progress: How are people working together? If they’re connected and having fun, they’ll figure it out.
- Magic in organization cultures: Loss of Ego in the room!
- There is great danger in failure when it is not handled properly
- What are the barriers to telling each other the truth?
- Leaders need to make it a safe place for people to fail so they can grow faster.
- Once you get over being embarrassed, it frees you up!
Session 4: Adam Grant
- The negative impact of a taker will have triple the impact of one good giver
- Ask other people if you’re a giver or a taker
- Do as many 5-minute favors as you can!
Session 5: Brene Brown
- There is great freedom in sharing the stories we make up in our minds with others
- We all want more belonging, love, intimacy, etc. The only way that happens is through vulnerability
- Middle Space – Too far in to turn back, but can’t see ahead. Who you are in this space is what separates the leaders from no leaders.
- Transformational leaders do discomfort!
- Transformational leaders have absolute emotional awareness of themselves and others
- We’re emotional beings who sometimes think!
- Emotion dictates behavior
- Leaders can choose courage or choose comfort, not both
- Courage is uncomfortable, that is why it is rare
- If you are brave often enough, you will fail. Be willing to fail knowing that you’ll rise up
Session 6: Sallie Krawcheck
- We’re hired to do what’s most beneficial for the organization, regardless if it’s what people want or not!
- There is false comfort in agreement
- Work everyday as though your children are watching you… they are!
Session #7: Albert Tate
- A dumb idea + God’s hand = Life transformation
- Don’t underestimate the power of a dumb idea
- God will do a miracle with something you bring
- Take what you have in your hand, give it to Jesus, and get out of the way
- When was the last time you were blown away by the goodness of God?
- If you don’t know how to fall on your knees and hear from God, you’re missing out on one of the best parts of following God!
- If you overwork, you’re missing an opportunity to let God be God! You miss the beauty of giving it to Jesus!
- My name can only do so much, His name gives us full access to the Kingdom of God!
- You don’t have to live outside the promises of God!
I’ll be live-tweeting from the Leadership Summit again today! Follow along!
If this post helped you and you believe it could help others, please recommend it on Facebook, Twitter, Stumble Upon, and the other social media sites listed below. Also, I would love to hear your thoughts on this post. Leave a comment below! Thank you! I would also encourage you to subscribe to this blog via RSS feed or e-mail! You can sign-up for e-mail by typing your e-mail address in the box on the left hand side of this site that says “E-mail updates”.