In this message, Doug teaches you about the wisdom of God: Why you should want it and how to get it!
2 Chronicles 1:7-12
7 That night God appeared to Solomon and said to him, “Ask for whatever you want me to give you.”8 Solomon answered God, “You have shown great kindness to David my father and have made me king in his place. 9 Now, Lord God, let your promise to my father David be confirmed, for you have made me king over a people who are as numerous as the dust of the earth. 10 Give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may lead this people, for who is able to govern this great people of yours?”11 God said to Solomon, “this is your heart’s desire and you have not asked for wealth, possessions or honor, nor for the death of your enemies, and since you have not asked for a long life but for wisdom and knowledge to govern my people over whom I have made you king, 12 therefore wisdom and knowledge will be given you. And I will also give you wealth, possessions and honor, such as no king who was before you ever had and none after you will have.”!
Matthew 6:33 – Seek first the Kingdom, and ALL these things will be added unto you!
Get wisdom; develop good judgment. Don’t forget my words or turn away from them.6 Don’t turn your back on wisdom, for she will protect you. Love her, and she will guard you.7 Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do! And whatever else you do, develop good judgment8 If you prize wisdom, she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will honor you. She will place a lovely wreath on your head she will present you with a beautiful crown. – Proverbs 4:5-9
Wisdom: The ability to discern or judge and act on what is true, right, or lasting; insight. Aware, skillful, prepared, foresight . . .
Wisdom is the ability to make a decision today that you won’t regret tomorrow!
Wisdom is know what God wants you to do!!
Qualities of the Wise:
• The wise know their purpose
• They do what is right, just, and fair
• The wise gain the knowledge of God
• They know how to find the right course of action every time
• Wisdom will keep you safe
• Wisdom saves you from evil people
• Wisdom will save you from immoral women!
• God directs the paths of the wise
• The profits of wisdom are more than silver and gold
• Nothing you can desire can compare with wisdom
• Wisdom guides you down delightful paths
• Wisdom makes you happy!
• By wisdom God created the earth and the Heavens!
• Getting wisdom is the most important thing you can do!
• Wisdom will lead to a long and good life
• When you’re guided by wisdom you won’t stumble
• Wisdom leads to a fulfilled life!
• Unending riches, honor, wealth, and justice are all distributed through wisdom!
The Opposite of Wisdom – Foolish!
Fool: Comes from the word moron! Unaware, dull, heedless, unresponsive, clueless, lack of foresight always surprised!
What the bible says about fools:
• Fools despise wisdom and discipline
• Fools are destroyed for their lack of common sense
• Fools have fun doing wrong
• The fool will be a servant to the wise
• Fools think they need no advice
• The fool gets mad easily
• Fools don’t even think before they do something and brag about it!
• Don’t hang out with fools, you won’t find knowledge there!
• Fools deceive themselves
• Wisdom is never found among fools
• A fool despises a parent’s discipline
• Fools cannot give good advice
• Eloquent speech is not fitting for a fool… (people swearing sound like idiots)
• Fools bring grief to their parents
• People ruin their own lives by their own foolishness, then are mad at God!
• Fools only learn from punishment
• As a dog eats it’s puke, so a fool returns to his sin
• Fools won’t turn from their ways in order to attain their dreams
Malachi 3:18 – Then you will again see the difference between the righteous and the wicked, between those who serve God and those who do not.”
The Beginning of Wisdom
Proverbs 9:10 – Fear of the LORD is the foundation of wisdom. Knowledge of the Holy One results in good judgment.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge. Only fools despise wisdom and discipline. ~Proverbs 1:7
If you need wisdom – If you want to know what God wants you to do-ask him, and he will gladly tell you. ~James 1:5
26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. – John 14:26
The Answer to 1,001 Questions – Be Led!
14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children[a] of God. Romans 8:14
The Hope of Wisdom
31 He told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. 32 Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.” Matthew 13:31-32
You’re greatest regrets could be avoided if you submit to God’s word/wisdom!
The Building of Wisdom
So why do you call me Lord, when you won’t obey me? I will show you what it is like when someone comes to me, listens to my teaching, and then obeys me. It is like a person who builds a house on a strong foundation laid upon the rock. When the storms of life came they stand firm because it’s foundation is well built. But anyone who doesn’t obey is like a person who builds a house without a foundation. When the storms of life sweep down against that house, it will crumble into a heap of ruins. ~Luke 6:46-49
Study this book of the Law continually! Meditate on it day and night so that you may be sure to obey all that is written in it. Only then will you succeed. ~Joshua 1:8
The Wisdom of God and Not Leaning To Your Own Understanding
Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do and He will direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5,6
If this post helped you and you believe it could help others, please recommend it on Facebook, Twitter, Stumble Upon, and the other social media sites listed below. Also, I would love to hear your thoughts on this post. Leave a comment below! Thank you!
I would also encourage you to subscribe to this blog via RSS feed or e-mail! You can sign-up for e-mail by typing your e-mail address in the box on the left hand side of this site that says “E-mail updates”.